Thursday, October 30, 2008
Under updated "conditions, critical-access hospitals are allowed to provide inpatient psychiatric or rehabilitation services in a distinct-part unit as long as those services comply with hospital requirements in other sections of Medicare's conditions of participation." After the Joint Commission "has submitted its revised distinct-part unit standards [to reflect the updated conditions], the CMS will conduct a survey to validate the changes."
The Joint Commission CAH accreditation pro has been placed under a 180 day probationary period from November 21, 2008 through May 28, 2009 to revise its accreditation standards to meet or exceed CMS standards set forth in the Medicare conditions of participation. The conditional approval period applies to TJC CAH accreditation granted between November 21, 2008 through November 21, 2001.
The full Federal Register announcement can be found here:
Thursday, October 16, 2008
"Health Care Staffing Certification – What’s New?
Ask the Experts!"
In this one-hour call Michele Sacco and Joint Commission staff will discuss the latest information about changes to certification, and give you plenty of
time to ask questions about the following topics:
- 2009 changes to scoring and decision rules
- Certification participation requirements
- The CMIP (Certification Measurement Information Process)
- Performance measurement requirements
- Standards interpretation.
This call will be helpful to both certified and not-yet-certified organizations.
Wednesday, October 29
11:30 am (Central Time)
To register, please go to
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
The variation of state provider licensure requirements was cited as one of the challenges of implementing a national HIT system for licensing. Recommendations offered by the report include:
- The adoption of a core licensure application in every state based on the Federation of State Medical Board's Common Licensure Application Form
- Promoting the use of online licensure applications
- Developing a national core set of credentialing parameters
- Directing each state professional board to select a central CVO for primary source verification
- Directing each state professional board to require state and federal criminal background checks for all applicants seeking a state license
- Standardization of the regulatory framework for each field of advanced practice nursing
The full report can be found here: http://www.nga.org/Files/pdf/0809EHEALTHREPORT.PDF
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
DNV is recognized for its integration of international quality standards with the Medicare Conditions of Participation.
Source: Healthcare Finance News